National Donate Life Month is observed every April in the United States to raise awareness about the importance of organ, eye, and tissue donation. It’s a time for individuals and organizations to come together to promote donation and celebrate those who have saved lives through the gift of donation.
The observance of National Donate Life Month began in 2003 as a partnership between Donate Life America and its partnering organizations. The aim is to inspire more people to become organ donors and help save the lives of the more than 100,000 people in the U.S. who are currently waiting for a life-saving transplant.
Here are five ways to support and raise awareness about National Donate Life Month:
- Educate yourself: Learn more about what it means to be a donor and the impact you can have on the lives of others by visiting OrganDonor.gov, New England Donor Service (neds.org) or DonateLife.net.
- Register as an organ donor: One of the easiest ways to support National Donate Life Month is to become an organ donor. You can sign up online at registerme.org.
- Spread awareness: Use your social media platforms to spread the word about the importance of organ donation. You can share facts, stories, and information about how people can become donors.
- Make a donation: You can give to organizations that support organ donation and help fund research, education, and provide support to those who are waiting for organ transplants.
- Volunteer: Find a national organization like the American Transplant Foundation or the National Kidney Foundation and see if they have a local chapter. You can join an event or consider organizing an event in your local community.